Personal Injury Cases: Defenses

You need to be able to anticipate the defenses of the other side if you are thinking of filing a personal injuries claim. If you are on the opposite side (as a defendant), and someone claims that you caused their injuries, it is important to know some defense strategies that could help you avoid liability.

Must Read: the economics law of intellectual house

This article will focus on defenses for plaintiffs who may be at fault for the underlying accident (comparative or contributory negligence) as well as how “assumption risk” might apply to personal injury cases.

Did the Plaintiff also have to be at fault for the accident?

A plaintiff filing a personal injury lawsuit will often claim that the defendant is at fault for the accident and resulting injuries.

The amount of compensation you receive for injuries you sustained will be affected if you have filed a lawsuit and are partly to blame. This could occur early if you settle your personal injuries case out of court. Or it could take place at the end of a long trial where the jury comes to a verdict on liability (by apportioning blame between or among the parties) or proper compensation (the plaintiff’s “damages”) award.

Never Miss: intellectual land

Comparative Negligence

In personal injury cases, most states use a “comparative negligence” rule. This calculates damages based on each party’s share of fault.

Let’s say, for example, that you are in an accident with a car and are 25% responsible, but the other driver is 75%. This conclusion may have been reached in a police report that was filed after an accident, or it could be a stipulation that was reached after both the insurance companies investigated the accident. If you file a lawsuit to recover your damages for injuries or property damage, the amount of compensation you receive will likely be reduced 25% depending on how much fault you have. If your total damages exceed $20,000, you will only get $15,000.

Contributory Negligence

Comparative negligence laws may reduce the victim’s compensation if they are partially to blame (in most cases), but contributory negligence is not as forgiving. Contributory negligence laws in states prohibit victims of accidents or injuries from obtaining compensation through personal injury lawsuits. If you are in a state that follows contributory negligence principles and your car accident was only 5% of your fault, and the other driver is 95%, you cannot recover compensation through a personal injury suit.

Only five jurisdictions apply the contributory negligence rule. These are the states of Alabama and Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia as well as the District of Columbia. Personal injury plaintiffs in these jurisdictions could face severe consequences if they are found to be at fault for the underlying accident.

Also Read: immigration regulation putting the requirements for settlement

Assumption Of Risk

A defendant in a personal injury case will often argue that the victim “accepted the risk” that they would be hurt if they participate in an activity that was unsafe. This defense is most common in cases involving contact sports, paintball, and spectator injuries.

Most Popular: about immigration legal guidelines

A successful defense of “assumption” is based on the fact that the harm must be directly related to the inherent risk of the activity. If you are playing organized basketball at your local gym, it is likely that you have assumed the risk of being elbowed accidentally. This is a common occurrence during a game. Because you took on the injury risk by participating in the game, a lawsuit against the gym owner over the injuries won’t be filed. However, if you were injured while playing basketball and the backboard fell on you, the gym owner (for example) wouldn’t be able to argue that you took the risk of it happening. A falling backboard isn’t an inherent danger in basketball.

related articles

Navigating the Maze: Understanding Directors Disqualification Orders

In the complex and ever-evolving world of corporate governance, a Directors Disqualification Order stands as a critical instrument, ensuring accountability and integrity at the...

Legal Tint in NC: The Clear-cut Guide to Keeping it Cool and Legal

Hey there, North Carolina folks! So, you're looking to soup up your ride with some sleek window tint? Good call! Not only does it...

Attorney-Client Privilege: The Sacred Bond of Trust and Confidentiality

Have you ever wondered why lawyers often remain tight-lipped about their conversations with clients? Well, that's not just a matter of professional decorum. It's...

The Ethical Boundaries of Legal Practice: Navigating Gray Areas – A Guide to Integrity in Law

Hey there, aspiring legal eagle! Navigating the realm of law isn't just about mastering statutes or court protocols. It's also about grappling with...

How to Prepare for the Mediation of Your Dispute?

Mediation has long been considered an effective means for settling disputes amicably and without litigation, with parties agreeing to settle claims at an informal...

A Guide to Notary Services

What is a notary public? Notaries Public are professionals appointed by provincial governments to act as official witnesses at document signing ceremonies. Notaries typically act...

Unlocking the Potential of Multi-let Management in the UK

In the dynamic world of property management, landlords and investors are constantly seeking innovative strategies to maximize rental yields and optimize their investments. One...

Tips to improve your chances of dispute resolution success

What is dispute resolution? Effectively, dispute resolution refers to any method for settling disagreements that arise between parties without necessarily turning to litigation as the...

Ten Tips to Look for When Choosing an Immigration Lawyer

Here are 10 things to consider when selecting an immigration lawyer If you don't have a lawyer to help you, the process of applying for...

Subscribe ⇘


Recent Posts

Estate Tax Regulation Changes You Ought to Know about

As a portion of this Extensive expansion of this Bush taxation Cuts which the President signed December, legislation affecting property preparation proved too stretched...

What Exactly Does Lacking in Movements Necessarily Imply Once It stinks Into armed forces regulation?

A marginally intriguing military legislation coated Beneath Article 87 refers to if an person's apparatus or boat has been planned to leave, and also...

Major ecological laws

The Very First national environmental legislation would be your River and Harbors Act of 1889. The Water Act revised considerably of this Harbors Act....

About Immigration Legal Guidelines

Immigration legislation have been in impact to be able to Protect immigrants and citizens. You'll find somewhere around 1.25 million immigrants that are fresh...

Changing Beneficiary Designations After Divorce

When experiencing the challenges of a divorce, it can be difficult to focus on many practical implications you will need to consider. One important...